Sunday, November 1, 2015

The Start of It All

Hello, my name is Alexei Kiyan, and welcome to my first ever blog post. I have been a fanatic of every single living and breathing thing that has been found on our home planet, the Earth. Yet, I have always wondered, when did I really become obsessed with it. The vastness of just the recollections of my love is always what stops me from trying to find out. So today, I am going to, for the first time, attempt to figure out when I became captivated by nature.

The oldest memory involving me and "nature" that I can recollect would be my first time I have ever been to Butterfly World, a small butterfly park found in Southern Florida. I was about 3 or 4 years old at the time. Due to my very young age at the time, I don't really have much come off of. What I do remember from that day was that when I entered the park, I remember my parents getting one of those park maps and a field guide with all the types of butterflies, birds, insects, and such that could be found inside of the park. What I also remember is that, even though the sight was miraculous, I was trying a bit to hard to prevent the butterflies from landing on me.

Ever since then I have been scouring every place imaginable find out as much about the world around me. For example, I have obtained over 20 books regarding single thing that is included in the topic of natural history. With such vast resources, am able to do quite a good amount of things. For one, I am fully capable of distinguishing seemingly identical species by looking at them. One recent example of this would be when I was sitting in my room and I saw a cormorant-like bird sitting at the base of a tree drying it's wings. At first glance, I assumed that is was an anhinga, a bird found in southern North American swamps. Then, as a looked closer, I realized that it was just a double-crested cormorant, seeing that the bill was curved instead of straight, it didn't have the black-with-white-spots-and-streaks plumage characteristic of anhingas, and it had an orange throat patch.



Some other things have happened ever since I became engrossed with nature. One of these things involved a school project. Every year, my old school would host a science fair in which all of the student had to participate. When I was in 5th grade, I had decided to make science fair project that involved blowflies. Blowflies are a family of carrion flies that can often carry diseases such as dysentery. The teachers barely allowed me to even conduct such an experiment, even after my mom assured that there would be no physical contact between me and the blowflies. The next year, the school prohibited everyone from using any organisms in their experiments.


No comments:

Post a Comment